- Publisher: Pluto Press
- ISBN: 9780745333625
- Price: $41.95 CAD
- Publication Date: Apr 2013
- Rights: Canada
- Pages: 208
Professors/Instructors in Canada: We will provide examination copies of our books for consideration as course texts. We do reserve the right to limit examination copy requests and/or to provide books on a pre-payment or approval basis.Request Exam Copy
Financial Crisis and the Global South
A Development Perspective
This book is a major contribution exploring the policy options available for developing and emerging economies in response to the global economic crises.
Written by a highly respected development economist, the book gives a clear-eyed account of the issues particular to these countries and critically evaluates different policy approaches, including reforms in financial, monetary and trade policies. Informed by deep scholarship as well as practical experience, Yilmaz Akyüz draws on empirical data, historical context and theoretical expertise, with special attention paid to issues such as the role of the International Monetary Fund and China.
The Financial Crisis and the Global South is a landmark book that will be of interest to practitioners, scholars, theorists and students of economics and development studies.
1. Policy Response to the Global Financial Crisis: Key Issues for Developing Countries
2. Global Economic Prospects: The Recession May Be Over But Where Next?
3. Export Dependence, Sustainability of Growth and Adjustment in China
4. The Subprime Boom-Bust Cycle and Capital Flows to Developing Countries
5. Why the IMF and the International Monetary System Need More Than Cosmetic Reform
About the Author
Yilmaz Akyüz is Chief Economist at the South Centre and Former Director and Chief Economist of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development. He is the editor of Developing Countries and World Trade (2003) and Reforming the Global Financial Architecture (2001).