- Publisher: Zed Books
- ISBN: 9781783602230
- Price: $37.95 CAD
- Publication Date: Jan 2016
- Rights: Canada
- Pages: 192
currently unavailable for sale
Professors/Instructors in Canada: We will provide examination copies of our books for consideration as course texts. We do reserve the right to limit examination copy requests and/or to provide books on a pre-payment or approval basis.Request Exam Copy
Settler Colonialism and the Failures of Liberal Democracy
Two unmistakable features describe post-Apartheid politics. The first is the formal framework of liberal democracy, including regular elections, multiple political parties, and a range of progressive social rights. The second is the politics of the viagra for sale cheapest ‘extraordinary’, which include a political discourse that relies on threats and the use of violence, the crude re-racialization of numerous conflicts, and protests over various popular grievances.
In this highly original work, Thiven Reddy shows how conventional approaches to understanding democratization have failed to capture the complexities of South Africa’s post-Apartheid transition. Rather, as a product of imperial expansion, the South African state, capitalism and citizen identities have been uniquely shaped by a particular mode of domination, namely ‘settler colonialism’.
An important work that sheds light on the nature of modernity, democracy and the complex politics of contemporary South Africa.
1. Modernity: Civil Society, Political Society and viagra for sale in uk the Vulnerable
2. The Limits of the Conventional Paradigm, Modernity and South African Democracy
3. The Fanonian Paradigm, Settler Colonialism and South African Democracy
4. The Colonial State and Settler-Colonial Modernism
5. Nationalism, ANC and Domination Without Hegemony
6. Elites, Masses and Democratic Change
7. Crisis of the National Modern: Democracy, the State and ANC Dominance
About the Author
Thiven Reddy is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Political Studies, University of Cape Town.